Harpers Ferry, WV – Attorney General Patrick Morrisey sent a letter to Senator Joe Manchin, calling on the senator to resign his position as Democratic Policy and Communications Committee Vice Chairman on Minority Leader Chuck Schumer’s leadership team.
Chuck Schumer appointed Manchin to his team in November 2016.
Morrisey also called on Sen. Manchin to separate himself from Democratic leadership in an interview with the Washington Free Beacon.
A copy of the letter is below.
Senator Joe Manchin
306 Hart Building
Washington, DC 20510
Dear Senator Manchin:
I have tremendous respect for your many years of service to West Virginia. I am writing to urge you to put West Virginia’s interests and values first and resign immediately from Sen. Chuck Schumer’s leadership team.
It is no secret that many in the leadership of your party do not have West Virginia’s best interests at heart, or even understand what it is to be a Mountaineer. When Hillary Clinton declared, “We’re going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business,” she revealed a contempt for one of our most important industries and for the people who are a part of it.
Many in West Virginia were extremely disappointed to see you support someone who wanted to sink our already fragile state economy. We were again disheartened when you accepted the position as Democratic Policy and Communications Committee Vice Chairman on Minority Leader Chuck Schumer’s leadership team.
Chuck Schumer is a dyed-in-the-wool New York liberal. His extreme positions are outside the American mainstream and anathema to West Virginians. For example:
- Sen. Schumer called the NRA a “fringe group.” (Huffington Post, 01/18/13)
- Sen. Schumer is an unapologetic supporter of cap-and-trade
- Sen. Schumer is a staunch defender of Planned Parenthood and abortion
- Sen. Schumer called President Trump’s decision to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement a “devastating failure of historic proportions.” (Washington Examiner, 06/01/17)
- Sen. Schumer backed extremist Keith Ellison for chair of the Democratic National Committee (Free Beacon, 021417)
As you know, West Virginia voted overwhelmingly for President Trump. Today, we proudly give the president his highest approval rating in the country. West Virginia could not be more different from Chuck Schumer’s New York. And many in West Virginia wonder how you can put West Virginia first when you are beholden to Chuck Schumer and his team.